Our speakers have been hard at work since the 2013 Chicago Writers Conference. Several have released new books, a few have been honored with awards, and at least one has a beef with James Franco. Check out their latest news below!
- Christine Sneed received the 21st Century Award from the Chicago Public Library Foundation. The award is given to a Chicago-based author who has accomplished significant recent achievement in writing.
- Ian Belknap’s one-man show, “Bring Me the Head of James Franco, That I May Prepare a Savory Goulash in the Narrow and Misshapen Pot of His Skull,” is currently playing at the Den Theatre.
- The Deaths of Tao, by Wesley Chu, came out last month. His book, The Lives of Tao, has been nominated for the Goodreads Choice Awards for Best Science Fiction.
- Nnedi Okorafor’s new short story collection, Kabu Kabu, was also released last month. Isn’t the cover for her forthcoming science fiction novel, Lagoon, beautiful?
- Robert K. Elder contributed two pieces to the latest title from Allium Press, Des Plaines River Anthology. Over twenty Chicago-area authors wrote free verse narratives for the collection. In addition to writing the introduction, Allium Press publisher Emily Victorson served as editor and book designer of the anthology.
- Patricia Ann McNair’s pieces “Taking the Long Way” and “I Go On Running” were published in Short Circuit: A Guide to the Art of the Short Story (2nd Edition) and Culture: A Reader for Writers, respectively. You can also read her interview in Fiction Writers Review.
- Rick Kogan profiled Outside The Loop’s Mike Stephen for the Chicago Tribune this past Sunday.
- Samantha Hoffman will be on a panel called “Pathways to Publication: Authors Tell Their Story” at The Chicago Book Expo on November 24. The German translation of her book, What More Could You Wish For, will be published on November 22. The cover made us laugh out loud!
- Heather R. Liberman is working on a new book about performing arts and the law. She’s also planning a speakers series as Chair of the Chicago Bar Association Media & Entertainment Committee.
- Andy Crestodina and the Orbit Media team relaunched their website. The new grid layout of their blog has led to a 25% increase in average pages per visit. He has also found a new productivity tip: getting up early! He highly recommends it.
Want to get the latest news from Chicago Writers Conference? Sign up for our newsletter! Sent fresh to your inbox.