Though the 2014 Chicago Writers Conference is still months away, we already have exciting news about this year’s edition. In our efforts to keep our local writers happy and productive, we’ve added new elements to our conference that will help you on your journey. We’re also making sure we repeat some of CWC’s most loved aspects.
What’s Coming Back
- Kick-Off Party: On Friday, October 24 we’ll be throwing a kick-off party to welcome speakers, attendees, and first-timers. Last year’s event gave everyone a chance to mix and mingle before the hard work began. Location and details to be announced.
- Chicago Writers/Chicago Readers: Author Samantha Hoffman will once again curate this reading, which will take place on Saturday, October 25. This is an opportunity to highlight local talent in a welcoming environment. Last year’s readings spanned a variety of genres and styles.
- Pitchfest: This premium offering sold out in record time in 2013, and we’re excited to have it back! If you’ve ever dreamed of being able to pitch the Great American Novel/Memoir/Non-Fiction/etc. to a real-life agent, this is the event for you.
- Self-Publishing Intensive: Held the day before the main programming, the intensive will help you navigate this exciting new frontier. Our self-publishing workshop was one of the most highly attended, and we know there’s a growing interest in the topic. This session will teach you the steps you need to take in your self-publishing venture.
- Writing Sex Intensive: Patricia Ann McNair gave one of the most buzzed about talks at the 2013 CWC on the topic of writing sex. So many attendees raved about the experience that we decided to invite her back and give her the opportunity to delve deeper into the subject.
- Web Design for Authors and Other Panels: You can expect some mainstays like Social Media for Writers and What Agents Want, but we understand that variety is the spice of (the writing) life. This year, we’re happy to bring new panels on topics like personal finance, publicity, and making your work publish-able.
Early Bird Registration is open until June 30, and tickets have been selling like hotcakes! We only have a limited number available so we strongly suggest you grab a spot soon. Doing so saves you $30 off regular admission. Ticket includes the kick-off party, programming on Saturday and Sunday, and access to our Saturday night reading series.