Have you heard? CWC is throwing its annual Party with a Purpose and you’re invited! This year, our theme is Bad Poetry Night and goal is to offer 20 Scholarships for writing and literacy tutors from our partners 826CHI and Open Books. Here are 10 reasons why this is an evening you won’t want to miss!
- Rub Shoulders with Chicago’s Elite. The emcee for the evening will be none other than the host of Outside the Loop on WGN Radio, Mike Stephen while our readers for the evening feature literary luminaries such as:
- Hear the under-appreciated poetry of Suzanne Somers. We’ve carefully curated an evening of uniquely putrid poetry, including pieces from Suzanne Somers’ magnum opus, Touch Me: The Poems of Suzanne Somers.
- Watch the CWC Promptenator 3000 in action. The CWC Promptenator 3000 (patent pending) will randomly match our celebrated readers with bad poetry, oddities, and other strange texts that they have never seen before.
- Impress your date. Not only will your date swoon at your heroic support for literacy, but you’ll also receive a 10% discount when purchasing your ticket as part of a pair!
- Network with Chicago writers. You’ll meet a wealth of writers from Chicago’s vibrant literary scene who share your passions.
- Get tips and tricks from veteran authors. Meet seasoned writers who have “been there and done that” and will gladly, after a beer or two, share with you lessons they’ve learned.
- Tax Deductible! Chicago Writers Conference is a 501(c)3 organization which means that all contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Yay!
- Enjoy great food and drinks. Each ticket includes one drink and appetizers from Mrs. Murphy and Sons Irish Bistro, which is known to have some of the best Irish cuisine in Chicago.
- Bid on fabulous items during our silent auction. How fabulous? You tell us! The list of items includes:
- Two Festival Passes to Pitchfork
- La Colombe Coffee Gift Box, Iced Coffee, and Gift Card
- Lagunitas Beer, Swag, and Gift Card.
- Windy City Rollers Derby tickets.
- And much more…
- Support Chicago literacy and writing tutors! You will be giving tutors at 826CHI and Open Books a chance to attend the 2015 Chicago Writers Conference. This opportunity to network and learn the nitty-gritty of publishing can help start the career of a young writer. Here’s what scholarship recipient Dominic Loise, who is now the General Manager of Open Books, said when asked what the scholarship recipients get out CWC:
“First and foremost, the CWC is going to put you in the room with other folks who are passionate about the written word. [You can also] use this time to hit some panels outside of your wheelhouse. Those panels were the ones that ‘wrinkled my brain’ and energized me creatively.”
There you go, folks! 10 reasons to join us at Mrs. Murphy and Sons on March 31! Don’t miss out on a night of laughter and cheer all in the name of a good cause.
Hope to see you there!